Sunday, August 5, 2012

The temperature gage outside says it’s 100, Google weather says 96 at either temp, it's a good time to stay indoors and paint!  And when the weather is warm I find it is helpful to use a wet palate when I paint hence my topic for today is…Wet Palates

First, thank you to the person, (and I’m sorry I don’t recall your name) who introduced me to the Wet Palate. When Rick and I (Rick is my husband) moved to Bend Oregon from Orange County, I was having trouble with my paints drying out faster than they had in the moister climate of Southern California.  Wet palates are a way to keep the moisture from being sucked out of your paints.  Living in dry climates like the High Desert of Oregon (Yes, Oregon has a desert.) having a wet palace is a paint saver!  They come in many forms and prices, so here are some things I’ve tried and what I found works best for me.
Sta-wet Palate – this is a commercial brand here is mine,  
And it is what I use most; I have several so I can switch from one project to another with ease.  It consists of a plastic container, a thin sponge and a piece of palate paper.  The paper is not waxed and it is a thicker than standard palate paper.  The instructions have you run the piece of paper under hot water for 45-60 seconds.  And then fully saturate the sponge, do not wring out and place in the tray.  Putting the paper on top of the sponge allows the paper to wick moisture from the sponge, keeping your paints moist for several days.   I usually take my palate with me when I attend a painting class or convention, as you often don’t complete the project in class and this lets you have the same colors and any mixes you have until your project is complete.  I’ve had sta-wet palates stay fresh for a month…it’s not ideal but if you keep adding water, they will keep.  

Paper towel wet palate – this is a great way to have a wet palate without actually buying anything or if you find yourself at a class and need one on the fly.  You will need a good paper towel, Viva or the blue shop towels work well. You will also need a piece of palate paper (wax paper or a paper plate will work too) to put it on.  Wet the paper towel so it is pretty wet but not dripping.  Fold it in half, then you want to make little channels, this helps keep your paints from bleeding, it also gives you natural rows to put your paints in color groups and values.  This will not travel well and won't keep your paints fresh more than the one day. If you need them to keep longer you need some sort of container.
Homemade palate – at the SDP Convention in Wichita in 2010 one of the items we received was a thin plastic case with a latch and inside was a shammy, like the kind you can use on a car. As you can see it was cut to fit inside the case.  I use it with a paper towel and it makes a great wet palate. You can also use waxed paper on top of the shammy.   I like that this container is thin, it travels well.  If you can’t find one this size a sandwich size food storage container works great, and you can use either the shammy or even a regular kitchen sponge to hold the water and then put the paper towel or wax paper on top.
Tips for your wet palate
  • Any palate you need to keep for any length of time should seal well but should not be airtight, it should still be able to breathe; closed up and no circulation equals smelly and moldy in no time.
  • If you know it will be awhile before you finish your piece, I’d add a touch of baking soda under the sponge/shammy to keep it from getting stinky.  
  • Put a penny underneath the sponge?  I’ve heard this but I have a feeling it’s just a wives tale.  If you’ve done this please share with us if it worked.
  • Misting – in classes where you are in air conditioning for several hours your paints can get gummy on the top, even on a wet palate.  A small spray bottle that can mist the paint helps keep them fresh.
  • Keep it level – you might have noticed in the picture of my wet palate above, some of the paint colors ran a bit.  If you are going to be traveling any great distance I recommend you wring out most of the water first and keep the palate as level as possible.  Yes, you can take them on an airplane, I’ve done it.   
Your turn
So do you use a wet palate? Do you like it? What type to you use/prefer?  Care to share what the longest you have kept paints in one is?

I look forward to hearing from you! Thanks, Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment